SAVE THE CHILDREN
Change the Future
Save the Children exists to help every child reach their full potential.
In the UK and around the world, the Save the Children Fund makes sure children are safe and healthy. The organization supports them to learn, grow and become who they want to be. Their model of action is divided into three sections: Survive, Learn, Protect.
Within each, Save the Children leads the way to tackle vital problems like pneumonia, hunger and protecting children in war, while making sure each child’s unique needs are cared for. They also find new ways to reach children who need the most help, no matter where they’re growing up. For a century, Save the Children has stood up for children and have made sure their voices are heard. They wrote the treaty that sets out the rights of every child, and have been upholding them every day since.
In the past 30 years, the number of children dying before their fifth birthday has more than halved. But so many still die from preventable/treatable conditions. An estimated 5.4m children under the age of five died in 2017 alone.
In 2018 Save the Children helped more children survive by:
- protecting children in humanitarian emergencies from disease/hunger
- tackling pneumonia, the biggest infectious killer of children
- fighting malnutrition, the underlying cause of one third of child deaths
- feeding thousands of children at risk of starvation in Yemen
Education is every child’s brightest hope of a better future. Worldwide, around 250m children of primary school age cannot read or write, whether they attend school or not. Many of the world’s most disadvantaged children – those living in poverty or caught up in humanitarian crises – are being denied the chance to learn at all.
Save the Children is determined to change the story by:
- improving learning for children during their early years
- putting the cost of childcare high on the political agenda
- ensuring children in humanitarian crises (including refugees) learn
- putting children's rights at the heart of everything we do
The war on children is the tragedy of our time. Children are more at risk from conflict than at any time in the past 20 years.
In 2018, Save the Children treated life-threatening injuries and they:
- helped children recover from their horrific experiences
- worked to keep at-risk children out of armed groups and reunited others with their families
- gave them a safe space to just play and learn – something no child should be without
- worked every single day to protect them- whenever and wherever their safety was threatened
- stepped up their responses to the Yemen and Rohingya crises, keeping thousands of children safe and campaigning for peace and justice
Together, we help every child become who they want to be.
GCF is honoured to be a member of Save the Children's Patron Fund. We look forward to collaborate further with initiatives that support and encourage the development of children around the world. Find out how you can help, Save the Children.